Monday, April 15, 2013

SEIZURES, PATIENT, PATIENCE AND BLESSINGS


The last two weeks have been an emotional roller coaster for us.  We don’t frequently share personal feelings on our blog, however this week I (Eileen) would like to do so.

In the first three months of this year I had a seizure-like event during each month. During the first one in January, our mission president who is a doctor was with me, as was Russell.  Shortly after that I had an MRI and an EEG both of which were considered normal.  Two weeks ago I had two seizures in one day. This took me by surprise.  The following week I had three seizures in one day and three at night.  They continued to increase in frequency and number to the point that I was having some as long as 25 minutes at a time and as many as 17/day.  The days went by and we became increasingly concerned.  On Saturday April 6th we had zone conference.  This is a day in which missionaries from the mission meet together to be spiritually edified and taught. I decided to go, thinking that if I had an attitude of “faith not fear” I would be ok.  The conference started at 9 AM. By 11:30 I was on my 3rd seizure.  Prior to most of the seizures I have an aura, so I have a minute or two notice to discreetly leave the room.  After the third seizure I was emotionally drained, and left to go home without saying goodbye to the missionaries that I dearly love.  On Saturday and Sunday, Russell and I fasted and prayed to know what to do regarding my seizures.  At this point I didn’t feel like I could go on much longer like this, either emotionally or physically. It is difficult to be trapped in a body that does not function the way you would like it to.  I was afraid of leaving my apartment for fear that I would have a seizure and either harm myself or make a fool of myself in front of others.  Each time I have a seizure I feel like I have a jolt of electricity traveling from my feet to my head. Then the movements start. I am never quite sure where or what will happen, but it is never pretty.  When we fasted we humbled ourselves and asked the Lord what we should do.  I knew I couldn’t get on a plane to go back to the U.S. for an evaluation with the frequency of my seizures. How was I to get an evaluation?  As we were praying the answer came loud and clear to me.  Get a Video EEG!

With the help of our mission president by Tuesday morning I was in a local hospital hooked up to machines and being monitored by a video camera.  Within minutes of arriving at the hospital I started having seizures.  In fact within the 24-hour period of the Video EEG, I had at least 30. Some seizures lasted 10 minutes, some lasted 30 minutes.  I was exhausted and desperate for help.  I had posted a notice on Facebook regarding the test I was having.  Thoughts from friends that I haven’t seen or heard from for years were so appreciated through the long hours ahead of me.  Throughout the many days of my seizures, Russell was constantly at my side.  He would talk soothingly to me, rub my head, hold me close and pray for me.  Now he had additional duties.  He changed my bedpan, wrote down the timing of the seizures, prepared my food, and got my drinks for me. He sat at my bedside watching my every move.   I have a very devoted, cherished companion that suffered as he watched me suffer.  The room didn’t have air conditioning for many hours. The heat became unbearable, yet he did not complain.   I so appreciate and love him.  I listened to LDS general conference on my IPod until the battery on my IPod went dead.  I didn’t have the means to recharge it.  It was only 4 AM and I wondered what I would do to distract me.  Then through the still of the night came the beautiful sounds of the call to prayer from the nearby mosque.  It was very different from the 5 mosques that all commence at once nearby our apartment. The call pierced the air of my hospital room with a lovely sound and reminded me….. do not forget to pray. 

I was discharged with medication, exhausted, eager to sleep in my own bed without wires.  Thursday night Russell and I returned to the hospital to meet with 3 doctors for the results. My  mission president and his wife were also there.  The results came back very different than I had expected:  No-organic reason for my seizures, with a diagnosis of non-epileptic seizures.  After asking a few questions of the doctors, I talked with my mission president both about the challenges in my life and possible future plans depending upon how things transpire.  That night I went to bed realizing that I had gone 4 hours without a seizure.

Miracles do occur in this day and age.  I can attest to that.  Saturday, I swam l/2 a mile with Russell watching closely.  Sunday, we had friends over for dinner.  Both days I have had seizures only at night.  I am hopeful (and even confident) that with a humble heart and the Lord’s help I will get better and be able to finish out our mission here in Indonesia. 

While I was lying in the hospital I listened to a talk given by Henry B. Eyring, an apostle in our church.  He said something that really touched me, I cannot promise an end to your adversity in this life. I cannot assure you that your trials will seem to you to be only for a moment. One of the characteristics of trials in life is that they seem to make clocks slow down and then appear almost to stop.
There are reasons for that. Knowing those reasons may not give much comfort, but it can give you a feeling of patience. Those reasons come from this one fact: in Their perfect love for you, Heavenly Father and the Savior want you fitted to be with Them to live in families forever. Only those washed perfectly clean through the Atonement of Jesus Christ can be there.” 
I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father.  I know that I can be healed through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.  I am grateful for the prayers and love that have been offered on our behalf by friends and family. We have certainly felt of your love. 








   
   

           
   
   
 
 
           
    



           


2 comments: