Sunday, June 12, 2016

SHE IS HEALED


As mentioned in a previous blog we walk 6 days/week in the cemetery (Hauptfriedhof) near where we live.  Last Monday, for family home evening the couples were given a tour led by Elder and Sister Caracena.  It sounds a little morbid but I (Eileen) found it fascinating. Russell did not attend the activity as he was still at the office.

This cemetery was opened in 1828. The cemetery is located directly adjacent to two Jewish cemeteries, the Old Jewish Cemetery (opened together with the Main Cemetery in 1828) and the New Jewish Cemetery (opened in 1928), and together they constitute one of the largest cemetery areas in Germany. The cemetery is noted for its many monumental graves, its garden architecture and as the site of the graves of many notable individuals. (Wikipedia)

I have found that this is a perfect place each morning to clear our heads and prepare for the day ahead as we exercise. It is densely wooded and many sister missionaries have likened it to their very own “secret garden”.  There are flowers blooming throughout, the smell of sweet lilac and wild rose bushes is abundant.  We have seen a variety of wildlife including a red fox, squirrels, many birds and even a few large hawks.  It is large enough that we could take a different path each day and still not walk the same path over a period of several weeks. It is fascinating to me to see the different headstones here. Many are much more elaborate than we have in the U.S. The graves are well cared for. Stickers are placed on the graves indicating when the grave needs attention, or that the plot lease is almost up.

It has long been the custom in Germany for family members to tend to the graves of departed loved ones.  When family members do not live close enough to care for the grave it is possible to pay the cemetery, or some other party such as a florist, to take over this job. Plots are usually rented for a certain period of time, usually 20 to 30 years, with the possibility of an extension. However eventually, most of the plots will be used for another burial.  We do find in this cemetery many graves that are from the 1800s-early 1900s. We are assuming that those that are older do not have the rental policy as that of the newer graves.

Among the graves that seem especially interesting to us are the resting places for: Alois Alzheimer (the Dr. that initially discovered/identified the disease), the Hindenburg monument (dedicated to those that died in the Hindenburg’s crash in New Jersey), a section for babies and young children of American servicemen who passed away while their parents were serving near Frankfurt, the war memorial to those who died in the 1st and 2nd world-wars, and several pavilions dedicated to notable families.

As mentioned earlier, I (Russell) was unable to go with the group on Monday night because I was still working in the office until after 11 pm.  Fortunately, we live very close to the office.  We know it must sound glamorous to others that we attend the temple in Switzerland and go to other countries as part of our work here.  And it is to an extent but it is not a vacation that it may at times sound like.  We tend to work 8:30 am to 5:00 pm most days Monday through Friday.  About one evening a week I will work late in order to get caught up.  We also tend to each spend at least an hour in the evenings (including week-ends) addressing emails or talking on the phone for work related issues.

Eileen used to love going on her Operation Smile missions where she worked as a nurse.  She would go for two weeks at a time and thoroughly love the long hours she spent dealing with the patients and their families.  When serving in Indonesia we found that 60 to 80 percent of our time was not spent with the people benefiting from our projects but in doing computer/paper work and logistical planning, and this surprised her.  I told her that someone else at Operation Smile had been working hard doing similar work in preparation for the two weeks she experienced.  In our current role we are doing that back-office work for the majority of our day with the remainder spent coaching and training the Humanitarian couples we work with here in Europe.

We had some good news this week. Five months ago I (Eileen) broke the bone just above my ankle while vacationing in the Pacific. It was very disconcerting to me as I wondered if we would be able to make our April 18th MTC date.  Often we don’t realize the blessing of good health or mobility until we don’t have it any longer. Such was the case with me. I was truly grateful that this past Tuesday the orthopedic surgeon here in Frankfurt examined and declared my foot healed. I am very grateful that the break did not keep me from serving this mission and that no surgery was required.

It is wonderful to be able to drive again. Going to the doctor was the first time I have driven in Germany and the first time I have driven more than a few miles since I broke my leg.  My appointment was about 45 minutes away. Since Russell was busy I had another sister missionary go with me.  The trip went really well until we were just a few blocks from the doctor’s office. The GPS told me to turn right and then take an immediate right, which I did. I mentioned to Sister Jensen that the road seemed kind of narrow. I continued down it as the road became more and more narrow. A few people stared at me. At the end of the road there was a sign stating that this was a designated bike and walking path. In the U.S. we don’t have bike paths big enough to drive down. Sister Jensen and I both got a good laugh out of my “faux pas.”

Monument to those that died in the Hindenburg accident
Alzheimer's grave

I love this "Christus" statue-a similar one is in the Temple Square visitor's center


Very ornate family monument

War memorial

U.S. Servicemen's children's graves



Family Mausoleum
You can go inside

The ceiling in the mauseoleum had engraved stars and flowers in gold leaf on the ceiling, there were also stairs to go to the basement where there were more tributes to family members.



No comments:

Post a Comment