Sunday, August 7, 2016

FOOD NANNY, BIKE ACCIDENT, ZONE CONFERENCE

We have had the privilege of getting to know many wonderful couples while serving in the Area Office.  Currently we have over 20 couples serving here along with one companionship of single sisters.  Every other week we have a Family Home Evening for our Zone.  This past week we had Sister Liz Edmunds teach us some cooking skills. Sister Edmunds has had her own television cooking show and is also known as "The Food Nanny. "  She invited us over for dinner on our second day here in Germany.  The food was incredible. I didn't believe her when she told me that her loaf of fresh french baguette took 45 minutes tops to prepare from start to finish.  On Monday evening she demonstrated her bread recipe, then offered us six other mouth watering samples of things she makes out of her bread recipe. We also had tastes of chicken white bean chili, and Mexican Chocolate cake.
Many years ago I (Eileen) used to make my own bread. Over the years I have simplified my cooking.  Listening to Sister Edmunds encouraged me that cooking doesn't have to be complicated to taste good.

Elder Mitch Bausman demonstrating preparing the bread recipe. We have received bread several times from Elder Bausman.  It is such a treat to open our door and have a hot loaf of bread handed to you. Yummy!
Creating a fabulous appetizer

Sister Bausman and Sister Caracena helped with the preparations for the evening.
Sister Edmunds

Tuesday I went to an orthopedic doctor to check on my hand.  Last weekend I had an accident while riding my bike. In our recent travels for our calling we had done a lot of sitting in cars while driving.  We were both anxious to get out and get some exercise.  At one point during our bike ride I missed a turnoff. When I realized I had missed it I did a U-turn only to see a car coming around the bend straight towards me.  I was concerned about getting hit and tried to jump the curb to get on the sidewalk.  It was a situation where my mind thought I could do it but my bike was unwilling - or perhaps more along the line of the phrase "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." I totally did a face plant, putting my hand out to stop me.  My hand immediately started swelling and I had a lot of pain with no ability to move my thumb. On Sunday I had one of our local missionary doctors look at it.  He thought I should have it checked by an orthopedist.  The orthopedist took some X-rays and I had just a small fracture in the knuckle.  It was truly a tender mercy as he said he was sure I had a more significant injury.  I wonder if my guardian angels ever get tired of watching over me?  I am currently putting some gooey strips of gauze with creme on it and wrapping it with an ace bandage. Yesterday we went on another bike ride, fortunately with no problems this time.  I just needed to remember to brake with my left hand and have Russell change/lower my bike's gears half-way into the ride when we started to go uphill on our return home.
Looks like a chicken leg to me
Wednesday we participated in our first Zone Conference.  The subject was Developing Christ-like attributes. We had several speakers including two couples who are leaving our mission soon. We also had a lovely luncheon afterwards.  Elder Gary Sabin, who was called as a Seventy in last April's General Conference and has just arrived in Frankfurt as the third member in our Area Presidency, also spoke to us. We are so blessed to be here serving in the Europe Area.
Our Zone


1 comment:

  1. Eileen! You make me laugh! I can't believe you were trying to jump the curb! Unbelievable! Your angel work overtime! I'm glad it wasn't more serious!!!! Keep being young and amazing!

    ReplyDelete