Sunday, November 27, 2016

THANKSGIVING, FRANKFURT STYLE

This past week we celebrated the Thanksgiving holiday with approximately 80 others sharing a dinner at the church in Frankfurt.  In addition to the many senior couple missionaries we also had with us a number of the young missionaries and their mission president.  Elder Sabin, a Seventy and member of the Area Presidency was also with us.  We also had a number of the American expats who are here working.  It was one of those bitter-sweet experiences where the joy of getting together with recently made friends helps partially overcome the longing to be with loved ones at home.


Perhaps my feelings are accentuated because I (Russell)  am away from family, country and comforts of home, and probably also from seeing in the work we are involved with those who are less fortunate, that I feel so  very grateful to God for all my many blessings.  I am sure that I don’t even recognize many of His bounteous gifts to me.  Foremost I am grateful to feel of my Father-in-Heaven’s love for me and for His Son’s atonement as my Savior and Redeemer.  I have been blessed with great parents and grandparents that taught me the gospel of Jesus Christ, they taught me how to work, to value education, and respect others.  They, and my father and mother-in law, have been wonderful supports and examples to me in my life.  I  have a fantastic wife and missionary companion, with the possibility of being with her in the next life if I can just live worthy of that blessing.  I have been blessed with wonderful children, their spouses and 13 grandchildren, who bring me great joy.  I recognize how fortunate I am to be a citizen of a country where there is freedom of religion and expression, with its many opportunities for education and prosperity.  I am grateful for the opportunity to serve as a representative of Jesus Christ, as a full-time missionary, involved with the humanitarian effort of His church.  









No comments:

Post a Comment