Sunday, February 16, 2020

THE NURSE BECOMES A PATIENT

Last week I (Russell) mentioned that Eileen came down with a respiratory illness.  She saw a doctor a week ago yesterday and started on a five day antibiotic.  Sunday and Monday were very difficult ones for her as she was coughing most of the time, running a fever and not sleeping.  I asked if she was going back to see the doctor and she told me, “No, I don’t want to be put on another medication, and I am afraid I will be admitted to the hospital.”  I have found arguing with her over her medical care has been an unprofitable venture over our married years so I backed off.  She didn’t want to go into the office this week and risk getting anyone else sick (good call).

Wednesday, about 9:30 AM, Eileen called me at the office and asked if I would take her into St. Luke’s hospital to get checked out.  I was surprised at her change in attitude and asked what prompted it.  She said that she prayed about it and the feeling came to call Elder/Dr. Dahle (the Area Medicare Advisor (“AMA”).  Elder Dahle told her to not just go and see a doctor but to go to the Urgent Care clinic at St. Luke's, the best hospital in the Philippines.  

St. Luke’s is in Metro Manila, just a few miles west of our mission boundary.  The triage nurse in Urgent Care asked Eileen just a few questions and then marched her to the Emergency Room (“ER”).  The ER doctor and other medical staff were great.  Within the first two hours, Eileen had been examined by a doctor, had blood drawn for testing, an EKG test, a chest X-ray, and an I.V. started and a nebulizer treatment.  During this time Eileen told me that she had become resigned to her likely being admitted to the hospital.  Eileen was diagnosed with pneumonia and admitted shortly thereafter.

Eileen did get to choose her level of room (see room rate picture below).  She did not want to share a room and there were no regular private rooms available; so we got a deluxe private room.  It was the size of a one bedroom apartment in the building where we live, and it had both a TV with western news stations and a recliner.  Between the efficiency of the ER and the hospital room, I was impressed.  

The attending pulmonologist looking after her on the floor changed her to a stronger antibiotic as he felt her pneumonia was “hospital acquired.”  I guess there was a price to our being in two hospitals with young missionaries the week prior.  

By Friday Eileen was feeling better, not great but good enough to be released.  She still has a bad cough, which scares people with the Coronavirus all over in the news.  She has been staying in the apartment and will do so until the cough subsides.  The cost of our Valentine’s Day celebration/romantic getaway this year was under $1,300 (including the nebulizer we got to take home).

The windshield of the mission van cracked when "helpers" were assisting Russell trying to  fill the van with supplies for new apartments.
Waiting in the ER for the verdict as to what would happen to me.
In the ER, struggling to breathe.
Room rates for the hospital, I didn't want a ward room, and they were out of small and regular rooms so we chose the deluxe. The room far exceeded our expectations based on other hospitals we have been in while in the Philippines. To determine the rate in US dollars divide by 50.  I qualified for the senior rate so a 4 person ward room would be about 23 dollars/night. The room I ended up getting was about $100/night.

This room was bigger and nicer than expected.
The food definitely wasn't very good. This is my dinner tray. Everything was ice cold including the broth, the mashed potatoes, the veggies and the tiny piece of fish.
Definitely not the heart healthy meal. We don't get American food here often. Russell saw a Shake Shack near the hospital and thought I could use a diversion from the hospital menu.
A Valentines Day concert was held in the lobby of the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment