Sunday, December 10, 2023

THE TRIVIAL AND THE TRULY TRAGIC

Yesterday afternoon we came out of the temple to find Eileen’s phone going off over her not being available to address a missionary’s inflamed fingernail.  The young missionary had bitten off a hangnail and it got infected.  Eileen had talked to the missionary the night before and told her to soak it in Epson salts.  When the missionary asked to go to an urgent care clinic yesterday morning, Eileen gave her the addresses for four.  Unfortunately, when the missionary went, she could not locate her insurance card and was frustrated because the clinics would not see her without it.  So, she had her companion call the Sommerfeldts, who called Eileen while we were in the temple.  Eileen was on the phone trying to deal with that, while the six single senior sisters and five senior couples who had attended the temple together were going into dinner.  Between that and the young elders who had called me while were in the temple, saying that part of the undercarriage of their car was dragging, the wonderful experience of going to the temple was diminished a bit.  After a couple of calls and exchanging numerous text messages last night and today, I learned that the elders’ car’s issue stemmed from a mishap two weeks ago following a snowstorm and sliding off the road.  Why tell the vehicle coordinator that something happened when you can wait until the bottom falls off your car to tell him?


Part of what had made the temple visit so special was the circumstances surrounding one of the senior sister missionaries who was with us.  She had been recently diagnosed as having a brain tumor and was told on Thursday that she would need to have surgery soon.  Despite the medical challenges facing her, she has kept up with her mission office duties and was in the office on Friday working a full day.  The contrast between how the two sister missionaries delt with their medical challenges was stark.

 

Today we had the pleasure of listening to one of our recently returned missionary’s homecoming talk.  Sister Caelen Jones sent Eileen the link to her sacrament meeting.  Listening to her reminded me (Russell) that I do get the opportunity to serve with some great young men and women.

 

Earlier this week, Church Travel called asking that we immediately send new passport photos and signed visa papers for a missionary who is waiting to go to Mexico.  The missionary was out in the far northeast part of our mission.  It took me six hours and I’m glad I took the truck.  One half-hour stretch between where I picked up the young elder and where we could get a passport photo was on a dirt road.  I am reconsidering our need for trucks in the outlying areas.  I wouldn’t drive my car there.

 

This past week I (Eileen) had a birthday and turned 65. I have now given up the great insurance we had with Huntsman and will now be on Medicare.  I guess that officially makes me a senior citizen. I heard from all my siblings, most of my children and many friends at home and from around the world. The beauty of Facebook is that it allows you to keep in touch with people that you don’t normally see in person.

 

It was fun to hear from members of our ward in Centerville.  One sister who I spent a lot of years both biking and skiing with, said this to me.  “Did you hear that I am a service missionary with Family Search?  Who would have thought when you invited me to church all those years ago, I would now be a missionary?” It really made me happy to hear that someone I “ministered” to years ago is now serving as a missionary.

 

I have been thinking about how grateful I am to have overcome some of the health challenges I have had in previous years, especially related to my bike accident. On my birthday I had three stark reminders of how quickly our lives can change: 1) a former missionary colleague recently was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer and had a mastectomy in the past week; 2) a young missionary had a totally surprising diagnosis which could very well be life impacting; and  3) a missionary colleague is working hard to finish up her work before she has upcoming brain surgery for a tumor.  In each of these instances, my friends have positive attitudes and are finding peace through their faith in Jesus Christ, and in knowing they have a loving Heavenly Father who knows them personally and is aware of each of our needs.

 

Friday, I heard the news that Elder Patrick Kearon has been called as the newest apostle for our church, filling the vacancy created by the death of Elder M. Russell Ballard.  I was ecstatic.  I have a great deal of admiration for Elder Kearon. He was our Area President when we lived in Germany and came to our ward in Frankfurt when he wasn’t traveling. I remember distinctly the feeling I had whenever I talked with Elder Kearon and likewise when I spoke with his wife. It was like there wasn’t another soul in the room, they were so focused on the conversation we were having.  He is one of the most Christ like people I know, kind, compassionate, understanding and has an extremely cheerful countenance. 


 
We have beautiful sunsets here.  This was taken on my birthday. The curlycue building is the top of the Church of Christ building. 

Cookies made by Sister Hunsaker for my birthday.


I guess Russell  liked the variety of donuts Sister Perry bought for me.

This note from my 6 year old grandson was a heart warmer
This is the president's office/lunchroom/area to store Christmas packages for missionaries. 
Our stake presidency and high council put on a lovely dinner for all the missionaries.

Selfie of some of the seniors after the temple.

Dinner after the temple with some of the senior missionaries.
                                                         Undercarriage of damaged car.

                                     The damaged piece which was dragging along the ground.

                                    Driving on a dirt road to get passport photos for an elder. 


This car is only 2 weeks old. It is pretty much a mess. Maybe we need trucks. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree completely about Kearons! So excited to share them with the world now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hearing about your experiences! Thank you for your service!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen, I have been out of touch for awhile & wasn’t aware that you were serving in Independence Missouri. Congratulations & I wish you both a very Merry Christmas, as we celebrate the Birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. 😊 Nancy Sharp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late “happy birthday .” I’m also thrilled Elder Kearon has been called!

    ReplyDelete