Sunday, April 14, 2024

BACK TO REALITY

General Conference was a welcome respite from our normal activities.  It did seem like many of the talks referenced the blessing of being able to attend the temple and keeping our covenants made there.  However, it was Elder Rasband’s talk, Words Matter, that resonated the most with me.  The Spirit reminded me of times when I have lost my temper and said things that I have later regretted, and of other times when even though what I said my have been completely true, it would have been better left unsaid. 

Elder Rasband said, “Words matter! They are the bedrock of how we connect; they represent our beliefs, morals, and perspectives.  Sometimes we speak words; other times we listen. Words set a tone. They voice our thoughts, feelings, and experiences, for good or bad.  Unfortunately, words can be thoughtless, hasty, and hurtful.  Once said, we cannot take them back.  They can wound, punish, cut down, and even lead to destructive actions.  They can weigh heavily on us.” I felt this talk was meant for me.

Last week, I (Russell) mentioned how two of our elders had an accident with their new truck just an hour before the Saturday morning session began.  Fortunately, we did better than that following the Sunday afternoon session.  We made it about 18 hours before two of our cars managed to come in contact with one another.  Well, it was P-day, they were both in a parking lot, and the front driver’s side corners of each vehicle came into contact with one another. Funny how things like that just happen. I’m grateful the damage to both cars were minor.  Later that evening, I got a call during our senior missionary FHE from two of our Spanish speaking missionaries.  They had been rear ended while stopping for a red light.  I drove into Kansas City to pick them up since their car needed to be towed.  Thankfully both elders were okay.  Unfortunately, neither car was okay; ours has over $7,000 in damage and the other car was totaled.  The experience provided a good example of why you don’t use your phone while driving.

I’m beginning to regret asking SLC for trucks that we use in the rural parts of our mission. The Arkansas Bentonville Mission has a third of their vehicles being trucks rather than the small SUVs that make up most of what the young missionaries’ drive.  We now have nine trucks, and the elders seem to have a hard time keeping them on the road.  Two are in the shop already and another I had to coach the elders on how to get themselves out of a ditch.  It’s not that I really have any experience doing it, but I did know enough to try when they called me stuck and unable to move (or so they thought).  I reminded them that they have 4-wheel drive and encouraged them to put the truck into “4LL” and then to try backing out slowly.  They were successful, but I wonder if their newfound ability with 4-wheel drive will just further embolden them to fear sliding off the road less.

The eclipse was a once in a generation event. Russell came out just long enough for a photo. We had about an 87% eclipse here in Independence.    The temperature dropped, but it never got dark. 

The "Sisters" viewing the eclipse. Eileen, S. Perry, S. Creer, S. Hunsaker and S. Dennison

 This photo was posted in USA Today.  It shows the stages of the eclipse similar to what we saw in Independence.

In our senior FHE Elder Haueter spoke about his experiences of hiking the Appalachian trail. He hiked 2190 miles and it took a little over a year. He wore this shirt he is currently wearing during the expedition. I think most of us were thinking to ourselves "WHY??"

I thought this was the strangest building when we moved here. It is beautiful with the sun setting. It is the temple for the Church of Christ. 

It was a long Monday for Russell. Two cars involved in an accident in the morning and this one in the evening. He left FHE and spent several hours with the elders.  The girl who slammed into the back of their car had no insurance and was busy using her phone when she hit them. The elders called the police but they never came. Russell didn't get home until 10:30 p.m. He had left for the office at 5:30  a.m.


It was late by the time the tow truck came. 



Elder and Sister Perry will be leaving in 10 days. They gave their departing testimonies in Zone Conference.  This is their 5th full-time mission. Elder Perry is training Russell to do the finances. Russell will be doing both the finances and vehicles until  the next senior couple arrives in June. 

We both taught in zone conference.  My presentation was on ticks, chiggers and a new medical document I had created for the missionaries to use as a reference for medical questions.  We have had two missionaries call me about ticks just in the last 3 days. Both ticks were quite embedded. I am glad I presented on that subject. 

Going away dinner at our home for the Perrys. Office staff plus President and Sister Sommerfeldt. During the dinner I had a medical call and Russell had a call regarding an accident. 


We used Christmas plates because Sister Perry had found them in a missionary apartment and wanted to get rid of them. She absolutely loves dejunking and organizing.

Sadly, Elder Davis will be going home tomorrow. He has struggled with a pre-mission injury and needs another surgery. I love the painting his father painted for him (below).  However, Russell thought it was    hilarious that I thought it was of Elder Davis and his mom. The person beside him is supposed to be Jesus. 

Temple day, warm and windy.  Eileen and Sister Creer.

1 comment:

  1. We don’t have many car accidents h Mexico. The missionaries all walk, take a bus or Uber. The traffic and wild driving here is unbelievable!! Accidents would be continuous!! Have you seen that a few missions use horses for transportation? Just a thought, maybe less accidents for you to care for.

    ReplyDelete