Sunday, September 29, 2024

SEPTEMBER'S COURSE CONTINUES

Last week I (Russell) mentioned that September this year was beginning to look a lot like the challenging September & October period last year, during which the young missionaries experienced so many difficult health situations. This week was a continuation of the seemingly seasonal trend with two cases of heart problems, an ovarian cyst, and a blood clot mixed in with the usual less serious medical issues.  For me personally there actually is an upside to this in that I can help Eileen by driving her, and sometimes the young missionaries, to their medical appointments.  I find joy serving with Eileen on a common task.  And as our mission president recently pointed out during a staff meeting, my official call is not as an “Office Missionary” like the others in our office, but as a “Couple Mission Health Advisor” (AKA, assistant to the mission nurse).  At times I see it as justification for sharing my opinions on medical issues.  It is probably safer and more appropriate if I confine my medical role to that of being a driver.

Last Sunday I sent a short email to a friend, Randy Wright, who had recently begun a mission with his wife in Samoa.  I was surprised to get a FaceTime call back that evening (Monday morning for him).  Modern telecommunications are amazing.  I was able to see their apartment, which reminded me of the challenges  missionaries have with housing in some parts of the world.  Missionary life here in Independence is spoiling me, not only do we have good heating and cooling in our apartment, but we can get to a Walmart, Sam’s Club and a Costco within a few minutes drive.  How quickly I forget what life is like for most of the world and just take for granted the comforts of life I enjoy.

I (Eileen) went here for a medical appt. I was bugged by the name of the facility. Couldn't they think of something that doesn't make you feel like you are walking into a nursing home?   I mentioned my suggestion to the nurse and she said "well, it used to be a nursing home."

We took the APs, Elder Hymas and Elder Timpson out for lunch. Elder Hymas returns home next transfer. They have been great APs.

Fancy meeting other missionaries at the doctor's office.  Seven missionaries had doctor appointments just on Thursday.  It is a luxury when I actually get to sleep through the night without missionaries calling.

Saturday the senior missionaries went to the Battle of Lexington State Historic Site.  The site was the location of a Civil War Battle in 1861. A decade prior to the Civil War taking place, a steamer carrying a number of LDS pioneers exploded and 26 pioneers who were on their way to the SL valley were killed. Russell was serving at the temple yesterday and didn't join us.
Prior to serving in Missouri, I never realized the importance the issue of slavery was in this state. This map showing the number of slaves in each county was at the museum. 
It was sobering to read of slaves being sold as property as part of an estate. 

Senior missionaries in front of the Anderson House.  This home was initially owned as a private residence, then it was taken over as a  hospital for those with small pox and requiring amputations. It changed hands from North to South forces 3 times.  There are still bullet holes which can be seen in parts of the building.  The winding staircase in the middle of the home goes up several flights.


Sister Creer and Eileen at the  site of the Battle of Lexington, Sept 18-20, 1861.

This missionary needed to go to the doctor for treatment after receiving 4 yellowjacket stings the previous day. 

1 comment: