Last Sunday, we stayed up later than usual to listen to President and Sister Sommerfeldt give their mission homecoming talks. The Sommerfeldts were our mission leaders during our service in Independence, Missouri, and over time they became dear friends. During that mission, I (Eileen) worked closely with them, often speaking with them several times each week about medical concerns involving our missionaries.
Russell and I have tremendous respect and affection for both of them. They loved each missionary deeply and served with remarkable unity as husband and wife. Watching and listening to their homecoming talks brought back many cherished memories. One of the highlights was seeing nearly 100 returned missionaries come to the stand to sing "Called to Serve," with many more gathered in the congregation. It was obvious that their mission had touched many lives.
Normally Russell writes our blog, and I add the photographs, but this week I felt impressed to share a few thoughts of my own.
Although living in Europe has been a wonderful blessing, this mission has not always been easy for me. Some of the challenges associated with our current calling have stretched me in ways I never anticipated. This week, however, the Lord gently reminded me of one of the greatest blessings of missionary service: the lifelong friendships that are formed while serving together.
During our mission in Independence, I became close friends not only with the Sommerfeldts but also with a wonderful single sister missionary named Sister Kathy Creer. During her first mission, Kathy experienced the heartbreaking loss of her husband. Over the years, we have often said that we were sent to Independence so that we could meet each other and become friends.
Kathy and I spent countless hours together. We played racquetball several times a week, and when Russell was occupied with vehicle responsibilities or serving in the temple, Kathy often drove me to visit sick missionaries. Along the way, we shared our hearts, talking about life's challenges, our faith, and the many miracles we had witnessed.
During particularly difficult weeks, the Sommerfeldts would sometimes smile and say, "Sounds like it's time for that vacation in Germany!" President Sommerfeldt had served in Germany as a young missionary, and a member of the Europe Central Area Presidency had once invited me to visit Germany anytime. Over time, the idea of escaping to Germany became a running joke in the mission office.
Little did any of us know that one day Germany would become our reality.
This past week was especially meaningful because I enjoyed both the Sommerfeldts' homecoming talks and a visit from Kathy and her sister, Lisa. Their visit was a much-needed blessing and a welcome break from some of life's recent pressures. Spending time together reminded me just how grateful I am for the "forever friends" we have made during our missionary service.
Each mission has blessed us with friendships that seem to transcend time and distance. No matter how long it has been since we last saw one another, we always pick up right where we left off. There is something special about serving the Lord together. Sharing challenges, witnessing miracles, and working toward a common purpose seems to create bonds much more quickly and deeply than ordinary circumstances often do. I treasure these friendships and am profoundly grateful for them.
I am also grateful for the wonderful companion who has shared six missions with me. Russell has walked beside me through every adventure, challenge, and blessing. I am equally grateful for a loving Heavenly Father and Savior who strengthen and sustain us when the road feels difficult.
It has been a very good week.
One small experience brought an unexpected smile to my face. While stopping at a gas station, I met a young man from the United Kingdom who was traveling throughout Europe visiting churches. He told me he hoped someday to become a priest in the Church of England. We had a delightful conversation about faith, and before we parted, I gave him one of our Church cards. I hope he enjoyed our brief visit as much as I did. Encounters like that remind me that opportunities to connect with others and share our beliefs often come when we least expect them.
As I reflect on this week, my heart is full of gratitude for dear friends, old and new, and for the many ways the Lord blesses us through the people He places in our path. Some of the sweetest blessings of missionary service are the relationships that continue long after the mission ends. Those friendships truly are gifts that last a lifetime.
The Sommerfeldts with us on one of the last days of our mission.
Sister Sommerfeldt talking at her homecoming. I took this screenshot off of my computer.
Sadly, Elder and Sister Platt had to return home. He is our In-field representative. She fell and cracked her pelvis about 6 weeks ago at a mission president's seminar.
Russell teaching Come Follow Me. It is taught every Wednesday for the senior missionaries.
Switzerland is honestly the most beautiful place on earth.
Trummelbach Falls have a number of waterfalls inside a mountain.
At the top of Schilthorn where a James Bond film was done in 1968.
I agree 100% about forever mission friends. You two mean the world to me. Thank you for a wonderful week!
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing opportunity and incredible photos!
ReplyDeleteSuch great stuff, you guys are remarkable examples! So glad Kathy could visit:) love, Tracy
ReplyDelete