This week much of our attention has been focused on emergency response efforts across the Area. The fires in France and Spain continued to weigh heavily on the work of our department, and additional concerns quickly followed, including the sudden arrival of 60,000 people from Morocco into Ceuta, Spain, on the northern tip of Africa, as well as an earthquake in Naples, Italy. In many of these situations our role is fairly small, and we often find ourselves mostly observing, waiting for direction, and trying to be ready to help in whatever way is needed.
On Monday morning, and again on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, we had the opportunity to participate in calls regarding the fire near Bordeaux. More than a dozen people joined the calls, including two Seventies from our Area Presidency and two Area Seventies. It was heartening to see how carefully the needs of the local population, both members and non-members, were being monitored and addressed. The Church’s local and Area emergency response efforts seemed to function remarkably well under very difficult circumstances. I was especially touched by the sincere concern expressed by the Area Presidency members for those affected by the fires. Their concern extended beyond physical safety to the emotional and spiritual wellbeing of the Saints, which was meaningful to witness.
Over the past month or so, we have also been involved in implementing an emergency backup communication plan using 40 Starlink mobile units across the Europe Central Area. As part of that effort, I (Russell) have been asked to draft a protocol that can be shared with those who will be involved in setting up or using the system. Each week we meet with the heads of Welfare, Security, and ICS (Information and Communications Services). They review what I have drafted, offer helpful feedback, and then I make the requested changes. A few weeks ago, I began by adapting material from a PowerPoint presentation from a similar project five years ago that our manager had shared with me. I felt the original graphics did not communicate the message as clearly as they could, so we moved the material into an outline format, which everyone seemed to prefer because it was more complete and easier to follow. Our Welfare manager also mentioned an AI app he had recently discovered that could summarize detailed information and create a one-page graphic summary. While I was revising the outline, Eileen downloaded the app and entered my six-page draft. Within seconds, it produced a one-page visual summary. Both the summary and the full protocol outline have now been sent to the group for review before next week’s meeting. We will be interested to see how others respond to it.
This week Eileen also met online with the doctor who is currently serving as the mission medical advisor for the France Paris South Mission as part of her training. She has also had some initial interaction with the Mission President. I think she will enjoy this opportunity to serve the missionaries in France, in addition to the humanitarian responsibilities we continue to share together.
No comments:
Post a Comment