Sunday, June 14, 2026

FATHER'S DAY TRIBUTES

 From Russell to his Father:


June 3, 2026

Dear Dad,

As Father’s Day is approaching, I wanted to write to you, and both wish you a happy Father’s Day and tell you how much I appreciate the efforts you have made to raise me. 

As a young preschooler, I remember looking out the kitchen window at Grandma’s house for when you would come back in the evening. I remember the building of our home in Murray and of wrestling on the front-room floor with you. I remember the many times you took me fishing, to Fish Lake, Flaming Gorge, Moosehorn Lake in the Unitas, and of going to Lake Powell. Thank you for spending so much time with me and the family.

I know that life got extremely hard with Heidi’s sudden birth and passing, and then Mom’s long struggle with cancer. She told me many times about what a good man you were to stick with her. Thank you for teaching me how to respect women and how to endure through trials. I remember on more than one occasion when I faced challenging times that you would tell me to “finish what I started.”

Thank you for taking me to church and raising me with the Gospel of Jesus Christ in our home. I remember you telling me, when considering how committed someone was to the gospel/church, to not just hear what they say but to look at what they do and where they spend their time and money to know how dedicated they really are to something. Thank you for good example you have been to me.

I know that I have not always been the ideal child. Please forgive me for my errors. I love you and appreciate your loving me through the years.

Sincerely,

Russell


From Heather to Russell:

Things I learned from my dad:

That ice cream is delicious (learned from an early age).

That there’s nothing my dad wouldn’t do to help his family.

That you do things not because they are necessarily fun or easy but because they are the right thing to do.  

That giving up isn’t an option.

That if you’re not early you’re late.

That waffles are an amazing Sat morning breakfast.  

That you shouldn’t lie, hit or steal.  

That you go to church even when you’re on vacation.

That money is a source to help others, not make you better than others.

That what makes you rich isn’t how much you make but how much you save.  

That tithing gets paid before anything else.  

That you want to marry a man who treats women with respect.

That serving God and doing His will is the best way to live life.

That Dairy Queen has the best fries. Especially when your dad uses a fry sauce to demo a zit popping.

That musicals have fun music.  It’s probably why that is one of my favorite genres to listen to.

That amazing memories can be made while traveling with family or playing Clue late at night.  

That priesthood blessings aren’t something that are restricted to life and death situations.

That I wanted a husband who held the priesthood and valued the temple like he does.

That he will always be there for me and tell me I can accomplish anything. It just might take perseverance and hard work.

 

Thanks for being a wonderful dad. God blessed me when I got you as my dad. I love you. Happy Father’s Day.

 

Love,

Heather




No comments:

Post a Comment