Sunday, July 9, 2017

ANSWERS TO PRAYER COME IN DIFFERENT WAYS



Last Sunday we were invited to our manager’s home for Sunday dinner.  Gilles François is from France and he is the Area Welfare Manager.  His wife Larissa is from Russia and she is our Relief Society President.  They have 3 sons.  Gilles speaks 7 languages, Larissa and all three boys speak English, French, Russian and German. It is amazing to be in the presence of their family and see the conversation change from one language to another. The boys speak French with their father, Russian with their mother, German with the neighborhood friends, and English when they go to church.  As an outsider it is a little confusing to figure out which language they will be talking in among themselves. When they have a disagreement with each other do they change languages, based on which one they feel they have the strongest verbal skills in? We enjoyed our visit with them. Dinner was delicious. It was the first time I (Eileen) have ever eaten lamb.  Each of the three boys performed on the piano for us.  The boys have each won piano competitions.  As I sat by the piano watching them perform it brought back many memories of me with my children, encouraging them to practice the piano, even when they would rather be something else.  At Gilles request we gave a short family home evening message.  We showed a video based on one of Elder Holland’s talks. After the video Russell and I shared our testimonies of God’s love for each one of his children.  He is willing to forgive us and help us, even when we make mistakes or bad choices. 


Guillome-6 years old
Gilles and family watching video

Earlier in the week I was pretty concerned about some issues that we have no control over. Sometimes even when I know I am doing my best, I can still become discouraged and wonder if my endeavors are worthwhile.  I had several events occur which helped me know that God was aware of my needs. Perhaps he sent others to buoy me up.  At a time when my confidence was quite low this past week I received letters from 3 different sisters within 24 hours.  Each wrote an email of thanks to me, expressing appreciation for specific ways in which I had impacted their life.  I was extremely surprised as I didn’t realize that I had done anything unusual.  It was nice to know at a time when I really needed it, that my service had been beneficial to someone else. Elder Sabin of the Europe Area Presidency also asked to meet with us.  We had a very nice conversation with him, during which it was obvious he was very concerned about the missionaries and wanted to help us in any way that he could.  I appreciate the kindness of many around me, especially my good husband and companion who is supportive and loving towards me. 

Here in Frankfurt there are a lot of missionaries coming and going. In the past, those that were departing their mission would leave things in the basement of the office building so that others could pick and choose and obtain things they wanted or needed.  This past week I left 3 coats and 3 sets of boots down in the basement. I left them there at 8 p.m. at night and then emailed another sister missionary and mentioned that they would be there. By the next morning at 9 a.m. they were gone.  I thought, hmmm, that is a little strange. I found that someone had  picked up the clothing and thrown everything in the dumpster.  Two local employees actually found them in the dumpster and retrieved them.  They even told me that they had gone "dumpster diving" just for me.   

On the evening of July 4th we met as senior missionaries and had a barbeque, sang songs and heard some thoughts by Elder Sabin. He told the story of 25 year old Michael Monsoor, a navy seal who served in Iraq.  Michael was with other elite forces when Iraqi insurgents tossed a grenade into their sniper hideout.  Michael was near the only door. He had a just a second to make a choice. He could run out the door and save himself or choose to save his comrades.  Michael sacrificed his life to save his fellow soldiers by throwing himself on top of the grenade.  He died but saved the life of the other soldiers in that room. Elder Sabin then talked about what immense gratitude each of those men must have towards Michael. He then reminded us that each one of us has been blessed with an older brother who gave his life so that we might live.  Should we not feel tremendous gratitude in our hearts to our Savior?

Elder Sabin speaking on the 4th of July
Wednesday I left work a little early due to a bad headache.  As I was walking to our apartment a neighbor woman named Elfie, asked me if I could take her to go get her car from the shop. I was happy to help her. Elfie is 88 years old and a widow. Her only daughter lives in the U.S.  Elfie is German and has had a difficult life.  She is often quite lonely and will come knock on our door to visit. Even though she is not a member of our church she often comes to church with the senior missionaries.

On the way to pick up the car Elfie was beside herself with happiness. She kept telling me that she didn’t know how she would find a ride. She told me that she had just prayed to her Heavenly Father and came downstairs, and there I was. She kept saying over and over again “I can’t believe it”.  She asked what she could do to thank me. I told her I would just hope someone would help my parents when they are in need.  Later in the week she brought over some gifts, and also played a mini piano concert for me.  President Spencer W. Kimball said:  “God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other.” Not only have I been able to give service this week, but I have also been the recipient of other’s service.  

Elfie and Eileen



Saturday we spent a few hours with Elder and Sister Garrett going to a medieval festival in Budigen.  This city was first named in history during the year 1131.  It was a wonderful afternoon.  It has truly been a blessing to rub shoulders with so many other dedicated and talented senior missionaries serving in Frankfurt.  We are realizing our time remaining in Germany is short. We are excited to go back to our family, but will miss the wonderful people we have associated with while on this mission.   

Getting ready for the parade
Elder Garrett and Russell in Bundigen





"Beggar" trying to eat Eileen's food

Parade


Eileen and Russell at outskirts of Bundigen
Going away party for Constanza

No comments:

Post a Comment