Sunday, September 10, 2017

LAST TEMPLE TRIP IN EUROPE


We have watched with great interest as couples from the Area Office try to obtain the proper documentation for living in Germany. Having been through the process ourselves we can say that it is not an easy matter. If a newcomer to Germany does not have the appropriate registration within 90 days of his/her arrival they cannot leave the country without risking the possibility of being refused reentry.  This past week two of the new missionary couples serving in the Area Office received their registration. They arrived at the registration office at 5:45 a.m. to wait in line until the office opened up at 1 p.m. Despite their early arrival they were 15th in line. They were elated when they finally received their registration at 1:45 p.m.

Two other couples have been studying very diligently for their German Driver’s License. There are certain states in the U.S. which have reciprocity with Germany. That means if you live in those states you can surrender your U.S. Driver’s License and within 6 months receive a German Driver’s License.  We have some fellow missionaries whose home states do not have reciprocity here.  This means they have to pass the German test or they cannot drive after 6 months.  We have watched our friends take the practice test dozens of times. There are a total of 1070 possible questions on the test. They practiced until they knew the answer to every one of the questions. You can only miss a maximum of 9 points to pass the test. I (Eileen) along with the Germans in our office have taken the practice test and failed miserably.  The Germans were a little dismayed that they couldn’t pass the test. All in our office celebrated this week when a husband/wife companionship aced the driving test with 0 wrong!  I (Russell) believe what transpired was the result of both intense preparation and blessings from on high.  Never before has a missionary passed the test here.  To pass the test is very difficult but possible; to ace the test is nothing short of a miracle!

This past week we had the opportunity to have a departure interview with Elder Sabin from the Area Presidency. We have truly appreciated his counsel, love and leadership.  Russell and I were both very appreciative of his willingness and efforts to solve some issues we have had in our work assignments. We marvel at the wisdom and insight he shows when challenges arise.

Thursday afternoon we traveled to the Swiss Temple with Elder and Sister Garrett. The Garretts serve in the Welfare Department in Family Services. Because hotels are extremely expensive in Switzerland we decided to stay in temple patron housing.  We were a little surprised when we walked into the room. There were 2 small cots. I would describe the furnishings as spartan.  However, we soon recognized how simple the patron housing makes temple attendance. We could see the temple from our room. A large dining hall was in the basement with a kitchen with multiple burners and sinks for washing dishes. There was a very large group of Italian saints staying in the housing. It was enjoyable to see them each making their meals and then distributing them to their families.  I felt like I had just moved into a huge Italian household. 

It has been a pleasure to attend the temple during our time here in Europe. This visit seemed very special to me. Perhaps it is because this will be our last temple visit in Europe. It could also be because the Swiss temple was dedicated on the day Russell was born (September 11, 1955).  There was such a feeling of peace there.  After the challenges of the last week here and at home, it was something that I really needed and appreciated.  I also had a strong witness borne to me during the sessions that the work I was doing for deceased ancestors was appreciated.  The temple work was performed in German, English, French and Italian, a reminder of how worldwide our church has become. 

On the way home, we made a short stop in the mountains of Switzerland. There was a large group of tourists from China who motioned to us to be in their pictures with them. They were very gracious, however I wish we could have communicated with them. I could say Nihao (hello) and they could say bye-bye. Other than that, all communication was done through hand gestures.
During Sacrament meeting Eileen played an organ/piano duet with Sister Rich. They played “Oh How Lovely Was the Morning”.  I (Russell) was Eileen’s page-turner.  They did a great job; especially when you factor in that they were not facing each other as they performed!  
Afterwards I thought about how my mission experience might be a bit like my being a page-turner today.  My role was very minimal to the success of the musical number – helpful maybe, critical not.  The skill and talent all resided with the two sister missionaries who have played for years.  My role as a missionary in the Church’s humanitarian effort is just a very small part in God’s kingdom here on earth.  Just as with turning the pages for Eileen, it is important that I am diligent in doing what is asked of me.  But it would be foolish of me to believe that I am critical to the work’s success.  Perhaps the greatest benefit of my service, in both my page-turning and missionary roles, is my learning how to lovingly help others as I perform my duties.  It is clear to me that I am a work-in-progress.  I am truly grateful for the opportunity to serve my Lord here in Frankfurt and do so with my wife as my companion; they are both very patient with me.  Oh, by the way, I did drop one of the pages today.  I don’t think too many noticed it!  



Our view of the temple from our window each morning
Swiss temple, taken by Elder Garrett
Eileen and Russell at the temple

Eileen and Russell walking in the rain

There were several buildings with cheese, milk, fresh eggs and sausage stored in refrigerator. The products were sold on a total honor system. You put some money in a can for the amount you wanted to buy.

Our new Chinese friends

Lots of beautiful waterfalls.
Eileen taking the simulated driving test
Sister missionary  taking driving test. She took a photo of every question she got wrong and studied the correct answer until she knew all 1070 questions

1 comment:

  1. Even though I rarely comment I follow all your blog posts with great interest. You two are such wonderful examples of devotion and selfless service. It's a blessing to know you and I look forward to seeing you after your return!!

    ReplyDelete