Sunday, October 6, 2019

EVACUATING A MISSIONARY

A week ago yesterday I (Eileen) received a call from Elder Rivera.  He said that his companion Elder Ivins was pretty sick. As soon as I heard the symptoms the thought came to me that he had Dengue. The symptoms of Dengue include high fever, severe headache, joint pain, nausea, and pain behind the eyes. The care for Dengue is supportive care --- keeping the patient well hydrated and checking to make sure lab values don't go too abnormal. I was concerned about these two missionaries as they are rather isolated in a small branch up in the mountains. The nearest missionaries to them are over an hour drive away.

By Monday morning Elder Ivins was telling me he was feeling better, however the members wanted him to go to a local clinic.  I agreed that would be appropriate.  After his visit he let me know that his platelets were significantly below average.  Tuesday morning he returned to the clinic for his daily blood draw.  He called me and told me that the doctor wanted to admit him and give him IV fluids for dehydration.  I was really concerned about the best course to take. I wanted him closer to the mission office and better medical care. Since Russell and I were the only ones in the office we had to make the decision without consulting with anyone else. Our Area Medical Advisor was out of the country with another missionary. It was transfer day and the departing missionaries were with President and Sister Alder and the other senior missionaries at the temple.  The APs who are usually available, were at the doctors office as one of them was sick. After several prayers asking for guidance we made a decision. Russell would drive to pick up the Elders and I would stay and do a workshop we had prepared later that day for departing missionaries. We would meet each other later at the ER.

We usually drive together, as I usually navigate and watch the road for near misses with motorcycles and jeepneys, while Russell drives. This day we didn't have a choice. Russell drove by himself, and I met the departing missionaries in the afternoon and conducted a transition workshop. We discussed what lessons were learned during the mission, how those lessons would apply in the future and what goals the missionaries would make as they arrived home.  As soon as that was done I met Russell and the missionaries from Infanta at the ER. As I arrived I saw Elder Ivins sharing a missionary brochure with another sick lady waiting to be seen. It was pretty touching to see that even with a raging fever, dehydration and significant fatigue he still wanted to share the gospel.  I was also impressed to observe the kindness that Elder Rivera offered his companion.  He had been cooking and caring for Elder Ivins for 4 days straight. He was extremely attentive to his needs. In fact on Tuesday night, as there was no where for him to sleep, he slept on the hospital floor at the bedside of his companion.

It is difficult to get a semi-private room and even more so a private room in the hospital in the Philippines. However, I am learning how to best work with the system. The admitting people at the hospital recognise me now and I know some of them by name.  Wednesday morning I bought some fresh treats from the local bakery and brought those and some American chocolate bars to the workers in admitting. By Wednesday afternoon a private room had opened up and we were ready for the transfer.

Wednesday morning 16 new missionaries arrived in the Antipolo mission. Russell and I each did some training with the new missionaries and then I spent the rest of the day at the hospital.  Elder Ivins was assigned to train a missionary straight out of the MTC. This Filipino missionary had never been in a hospital before. Russell arrived with him at the hospital just as Elder Ivins had a bad bloody nose. Bleeding is one of the complications of Dengue.  It was rather chaotic as I was running to get the nurse. The poor new elder looked helplessly on. The needed care was given although it shook us all up a bit as we all knew bleeding was a sign that the disease was getting worse. That night President and Sister Alder visited. President Alder, Russell and Elder Soaras (the new companion) all laid their hands on Elder Ivin's  head and gave him a priesthood blessing. There was a beautiful spirit in the room as the powers of the priesthood were invoked in blessing this missionary. I was so grateful to be able to be witness this beautiful blessing.

Saturday morning Elder Ivins got the word from the hospital that he could go home. I had been requesting that he be released early in the morning as we wanted to drive him home and it would be a long day's drive. Initially the missionaries were told he wouldn't be released until later in the day.  It truly felt like a miracle when he was discharged by 10:30 am. We took the mission van and loaded Russell and I, the two young missionaries and some other senior missionaries (Sister Gibson and Elder Bills) for the trip to Infanta. The other senior missionaries have never seen the eastern part of the mission.

Elder Ivins is a very strong young man. He is athletic and normally does 240 push ups twice/day. During the course of his illness I could see that he was  losing some of his energy and strength. Yet as we rounded the mountain and drove into Infanta, he raised his arms in a cheer and said "yes, I am home!" It was a blessing that he was able to return to do his missionary work and to train Elder Soaras.

Elder Steed, our former AP getting ready to go home. Sister Gibson is weighing his luggage.
Russell was able to close on the new apartment for the APs. This was truly a miracle!
Elder Ivins with his scriptures in the ER. They are well loved and well read scriptures.
These trainers were selected by President Alder to train the  newly arrived missionaries. Elder Ivins was supposed to be there but was in the hospital.  
This note were instructions from Elder Rivera for whomever was staying  with Elder Ivins at the hospital. He was very thorough. 
Elder Chandler stayed at the hospital at night with Elder Ivins. This is the 5th time he has stayed with a missionary at the hospital. He is actually considering going into medicine.  He is really sharp and would be a great doctor. 
Their last time as companions. Elder Rivera leaving Elder Ivins to meet his new companion.
The hospital chapel was right by the elevator. I was waiting for the elevator, when the doors opened a woman did the sign of the cross. At first I thought it was because of my missionary tag. On second thought I think it was due to seeing the chapel behind me. 
Elder Ivins and Elder Soaras, newly assigned companions at the summit overlooking infanta. 
The grade is quite steep yet we saw several bicyclists. The guy on the bike here was grimacing trying to make it up the mountain. 
These beautiful flowers were in front of the missionaries' apartment. 
Nobody ever seems to be at this amusement park, but the sun streaming through the clouds was certainly stunning.
These tuna were just freshly caught and were on the side of the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment