Sunday, December 1, 2019

GIVING THANKS

As Thanksgiving is not a holiday in the Philippines, I (Russell) had not thought that we would be celebrating it and especially not in the U.S. with family members.  However, as I look back on the events of the past week it seems fitting that I recognize the many, many blessings that I have in my life and give credit and thanks to God for them.  I have been blessed to: be born to wonderful parents who with my grandparents taught me the Gospel of Jesus Christ; grow up in the U.S. and in this day and age with its opportunities for education and work that have eluded most of the world’s inhabitants; have my beloved wife and children (and their spouses) and 15 grandchildren; and have the health and financial means to be able to serve as a full-time missionary representing my Savior Jesus Christ and His restored church on the earth.  I am indeed blessed.

Earlier this week our daughter was operated on and just today was released from the hospital.  While full recovery is still a long way off, we are grateful for how well things have gone with her surgery.  The hospital and medical professionals were amazing.  Eileen spent many hours, including staying overnight in the hospital, with Jessica.  Being a nurse herself, Eileen can be a fairly critical of other medical professionals, their facilities and the care they give.  So when Eileen told Sister Alder that the hospital Jessica was in was like being in the Celestial Kingdom of hospitals, I knew she was impressed.

Since Jessica’s husband was helping her get released from the hospital this morning, Eileen and I had the kids to ourselves in church today.  It has been a while since I have done that. As I was attempting to work with the two boys during sacrament meeting, I noticed another father near me trying to keep his son from being disruptive.  Since the family was multi-racial (like my own) it reminded me that my son Vijay was blessing his fourth child in church in Utah.  I miss not being able to be with family on such important occasions.  After church we learned that our investigators in the Philippines were unable to attend church today because the husband was sick and in the hospital.  I find myself wishing that I could be in all three places.  I am grateful to be wanted and needed.

Jessica and children two days before surgery 


It was a challenge walking again. We so very much appreciated all the staff who worked their holiday to help our daughter. I (Eileen) have worked many holidays, sometimes willingly, sometimes not as much. I made sure I told each staff member that came into Jessica’s room how much I appreciated them spending their holiday weekend away from their family.
In the lobby of the hospital a pianist playing beautiful Christmas carols

The hospital lobby. I sent Sister Alder a photo. She replied, are you sure you aren’t on vacation at some mountain resort?  The hotel was lovely as were all the staff. 


The children at the hospital. 


Making poppy seed bread for those who helped the family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment