Monday, December 9, 2019

LOOKING BACK

As I (Eileen) contemplate the recent time spent with Jessica and her family my thoughts turned to two personal experiences from many years ago.  The first was when I found out that I needed a spinal fusion which was done just 3 weeks before our scheduled marriage. I decided to have the operation because I was told that I would probably never bear any children with my back in the condition it was. We had all our marriage invitations printed, food prepared for the receptions, and thought we had a pretty good plan for our future. I was only one semester away from graduating from nursing school and my intent was to graduate and then work to put Russell through graduate school.  The surgery definitely put a kink in our plans. I moved from Utah back to Colorado and had surgery in my hometown.  I was in the hospital for 7 weeks, unable to walk, bend or roll side to side. I avoided bed sores by lying flat on the circle bed and every few hours flipping to my stomach by having the bed rotate circularly until I reached a prone position. It was a long and painful recovery.  My sweet mother came every day to visit me, and even spent a few nights at the hospital when I was having a particularly hard time. When I returned home, my mother tended to my every need (which were many), never complaining or showing any reluctance. She was very busy as my father had been transferred and the family was preparing for an interstate move. Our wedding was postponed 4 months, and when I returned to nursing school, I was told that it was critical that I not bend, lift, or jar my back in any way until 6 months after the surgery.  My good parents, especially my mother diligently ministered to my every need, supporting me in every way during this difficult time. 

Fast forward 5 years. I was pregnant with my third daughter when I was diagnosed with a massive blood clot. I was advised that an abortion might be the best alternative as my life was in danger if the blood clot moved to my heart or lungs. It was just a few weeks before Christmas when I was hospitalized. I had two small children at home, presents to wrap, food to cook to give as neighborhood gifts, a house to decorate, and I was the organist for our church Christmas concert.  It didn’t take me more than a day or two in the hospital to realize all those things were of minor significance compared to the challenges I would be facing in making it through the pregnancy.  I was able to return home just a few days before Christmas and was so grateful for the blessing of being alive and the opportunity of spending the holiday with my family.  When tax season approached and Russell was working long hours, I realized there was no possible way I could take care of the children on my own. My parents invited me to Arizona to spend as much time as I needed with them while Russell was in his busy season.  I spent 6 weeks in Arizona with my parents. Again, my mother readily cared for my children and my needs, making sure we had nutritious meals, enjoyed the sunshine by taking my children to the park, doing the laundry and basically giving me the ability to rest. 

My parents both passed away a few months ago. Although I miss them, I have no doubt that they are in a happier state. My mother suffered from Alzheimer’s the last few years of her life. She became somebody so different from the vibrant, cheerful, active mother that raised me.  As we have helped Jessica during this difficult time of her surgery and recovery, she has frequently expressed gratitude for our help. It was a reminder to me of all the efforts my mother put in over the years to assist me and my family. She was a wonderful example of the selfless love that God would like all of us to render to our fellow beings. 

The kids wanted to cuddle with their mother to watch a video. I was there for crowd control and to protect her from getting jumped on.

I (Eileen) went with Jessica’s husband and daughter to a crèche exhibit. It was in one of our church buildings. There were crèches donated from citizens throughout the community. There were over 1,100 different crèche displays. It was a wonderful way to spend some time getting into the Christmas spirit. 



The children really wanted to cook marshmallows over the fire pit. The weather finally cleared enough that we could do it. 
We had the wonderful opportunity to go to Bailey's piano Christmas recital.

No comments:

Post a Comment