Sunday, March 10, 2024

A TRIBUTE TO THE FALLEN

This past week I (Eileen) have had a number of things which I have been grateful to have been able to observe.

On Tuesday Sister Perry and I went to visit Sister Kearns. Sister Kearns was our mission secretary who had a large brain tumor removed last week. After seeing her health deteriorate from November to when it was eventually operated on,  it was wonderful seeing her able to walk with some assistance and carrying on a thoughtful conversation.  She was very grateful for the many prayers offered on her behalf. 

Over the years I have become quite assertive, especially when it comes to obtaining medical care.  This came in extra handy this week with  two sisters who needed immediate medical care.  One hurt her knee playing pickleball. The earliest appointment for a MRI was 9 days out, the other was a sister who needed surgery for a large  kidney stone.  The second sister was told she would get a call for surgery in 7-10 business days.  The squeaky wheel theory paid off. The MRI was done within 24 hours of initially attempting to schedule it, as was the surgery for the kidney stone.  After the surgery when I thanked the doctor for getting our missionary in quickly, he said he told his scheduler that if he had to come in on his day off he would.  He shook my hand to say goodbye, clasping both of his hands around mine, and told me "God bless you. Thank you for your work."  Every person we interacted with on the surgical day was so pleasant and positive with us.  The experience brought back many memories of working in the PACU (recovery room).  I  really loved my work, especially when I retired from the hospital and did humanitarian work with Operation Smile. I know I am doing what Heavenly Father wants me to do in this stage of life, but I was a little bit nostalgic missing my days of working in the PACU.

On Friday I attended the funeral of Cody Allen, a 35 year old police officer and a married father of two young children. He was shot while trying to save the life of a court employee, who had also been shot, while serving an eviction notice.   Our office was closed that day as the funeral was held next door at the Church of Christ auditorium and all streets were closed off except for those going to the funeral.  The funeral was open to the public.   I thought I might as well support the family in their time of grief, and get to see the inside of the auditorium which is seldom ever used.  The events of that day were some of the most moving I have ever experienced. 

The auditorium seats 6,000, with about 5,000 seats filled that day.  It was unlike anything I have ever seen. about 70% of those in attendance were law enforcement from Missouri.  All were dressed in their dress uniforms. It was obvious that there was a lot of love and camaraderie the officers had for each other. They were all seated by their area where they serve.  As the funeral was ready to begin, several bagpipers came up the aisle followed by dozens of Independence police officers. All the other officers in the building stood and saluted as their fellow officers walked by.  The family members were each accompanied by a police officer.  The service was filled with memories of the slain officer and words of peace and comfort offered by the chaplain.  There were several references to verses in the Bible including John 15:13, Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. The chaplain mentioned that Cody was in a better place, watching over the rest of us as a guardian angel, preparing the way for us to go. The police Chief spoke and said with great emphasis, "Independence Police Officer Cody Allen you are eternally relieved from duty."

After the funeral a very large procession traveled 30 miles to the gravesite. Traffic stopped on both sides of the road, including on the freeway honoring the fallen officer. It was a reminder to me that there are many who are good and kind in the world, willing to fight the forces of evil. 

Saturday, Russell and I drove to the temple for our monthly senior missionary endowment session. On the way there, he received a call from two sisters saying their car had been stolen. While I went in for the temple session, he stayed in the car trying to figure out what had happened to their car. It turned out that they didn't have the required permit on their car and it had been towed. It won't be a cheap endeavor to get the car out of the impound lot--and it must all be done in cash.

After the temple the seniors usually go out to eat.  There were 14 of us who went to the Red Robin restaurant. At one point the server handed me a note. I was kind of confused and we passed the note around the table. Someone had already paid for our meal and our tip. We were all astounded. When I tried to figure out who it was the server smiled and said that  they wished to remain anonymous. Sister Christensen grabbed a piece of paper and she and I wrote a very much appreciated thank you note to the generous donor. It wasn't even the money that mattered the most, because we all gave a generous tip to the waitress. It was the fact that someone looked at us and wanted to do something kind for us.  On our way out of the restaurant I found myself looking and smiling at everyone wondering which group were the unselfish donors of our free meal. 







Law enforcement in front of the auditorium (top) and the Church of Christ temple (below)



The note given to me in the restaurant
This is what a senior missionary's car looks like  when they are ready to go home.Stuffed to the brim. 

No comments:

Post a Comment