Sunday, January 15, 2017

FEELING THE LOVE OF THE LORD

This week marks the halfway point of our mission.  Yesterday as I (Eileen) was looking at Facebook, a posting I wrote three years ago came up.  It was written after my first day serving as a nurse in the Missionary Department of the LDS Church.  As I look back at the last three years I am struck by the ways in which the Lord has had a hand in the course that our lives have taken.

After returning from our mission to Indonesia I was not interested in pursuing another mission.   Russell wanted to stay busy and became a volunteer in the Perpetual Education Fund Department as a church service missionary.  Church Service Missionaries are usually part-time and are not living away from home.  One day while he was gone the phone rang. It was Elder Davidson from the Church Service Missionary Department stating he was returning my call. I kept insisting I had not called him.  I finally realized that Russell had probably called and since the phone was in my name the caller ID probably had my name listed.  I was ready to hang up when the words came out of my mouth “do you have a need for a nurse?”  I was surprised as soon as I said it. I had been looking at part-time nursing opportunities but had not interviewed yet. Within 24 hours, I was visiting with Sister Turner in the Missionary Department and decided this would be something I would enjoy doing a couple days a week.  After serving for several months in that role my manager approached me and asked if Russell and I would become full-time missionaries doing recommending for senior missionaries. My first reaction was not a chance!  It hadn’t been long since we had returned from Indonesia and I wasn’t ready to serve again. Within a couple of days the spirit had worked on both Russell and I to the point where we thought we should say yes to the position. I served six months as a nurse in the Missionary Department and then Russell and I served 18 months together.  We are now serving our third full-time mission together in Germany; a mission I decided to pursue.  The Lord has a way of making the seemingly impossible become possible.

I am grateful for my husband and his patience with all of my faults. He has been a wonderful companion to me.  I believe our relationship this mission has become stronger than ever, despite the challenges that have come our way.

Last Monday we had the opportunity to listen to Elder Joseph Sitati of the Seventy talk to our FHE group of senior missionaries.  Elder Sitati grew up in Kenya and is a convert to our church.  He focused on President Monson’s directive of reaching out and “rescuing the one.”  He related an experience while serving in the Area Presidency of West Africa. He said every Sunday they would go visit members who were struggling spiritually.  It was one of the most enjoyable experiences that he had. He also stressed the importance of an education.  We enjoyed the video clip below regarding his efforts to get an education.



After his talk he opened it up for questions.  I asked if he would relate the story of the rotating fast leading up to the recognition of the LDS church in Kenya.  He told me this story a few years ago after hearing that I had done medical work in Kenya with Operation Smile.  

In 1989 Dr. Craig Merrell visited Kenya as a physician with Operation Smile. He was aware of some of the political challenges the LDS Church was facing in Kenya, particularly the difficulties with the Church gaining legal recognition. Dr. Merrill initiated a plan having members of his Stake Presidency and others from his stake who wanted to become involved to fast on a rotating basis for 40 days for the Church and its members in Kenya.

Touched by the faith of Dr. Merrell and the members of his stake in the U.S. fasting for the Church in Kenya, Elder Satati organized a similar rotating fast among the Church members in Kenya. Each day a member would fast until the Church received official recognition, which it did on February 25, 1991. 

As Elder Sitati related this story I was reminded of the strength and power that can come through fasting with faith.  Last week a family member asked if we would fast for her family.  Although I have fasted for her on a regular basis over the years, I was happy to be invited to fast again.

Tuesday we were invited to have a personal interview with Elder Sabin of the Seventy.  We were touched by his interest for not only the progress of the welfare program within the Europe Area, but also our family situation.  His questions were thoughtful and his comments seemed inspired.  We were grateful to have had this unique opportunity of being tutored by a man who has been called to help lead the Church in Europe.

It was with sadness that we learned this week of the passing of the daughter of one of our fellow senior missionaries. Their daughter is the same age as one of our daughters. It made the news even more tender to us as we thought of our family and how saddened we would be if it were one of our own children.


Today we have been praying and fasting for our daughter, for the couple who’s daughter passed away, and for our fellow missionary who is in the hospital recovering from meningitis. We recognize that there is little that we can do to affect the outcome of any of these three situations, other than to show concern and offer faith and prayers on their behalf. We know we have a wise Heavenly Father who watches down on each of us. He is aware of our trials, loves us and wants us to be happy. While He may not always remove our trials or do things on the timeframe we would prefer, He can both strengthen us to be able to bear our trials and, as in my case over the last three-and-a-half-years, heal us.

No comments:

Post a Comment