Sunday, January 8, 2017

TAKING NOTICE OF IMPORTANT THINGS

Often it seems like nothing eventful has happened during the last week.  So much of what we do is routine in nature that we might overlook things that later, in a different setting we might view as interesting if not important.  This has been one of those weeks, busy but seemingly mundane.

On Thursday we held our monthly video conference call with all the Welfare couples in the Europe Area.  To me it seemed to go as what has come to be normal.  First we had trouble getting ourselves and then some of the other couples on the call, which was consistent with prior months.  Then I made a presentation on Senior Missionaries’ role in Major Initiative projects (like the wheelchairs, clean water, etc.) that are directed out of Church headquarters. 

During my presentation I noticed my wife and Gilles Francois (our Area Welfare Manager) exchanging notes.  After the call I asked what they were doing.  Both had noticed things by watching the couples’ pictures that I had missed due to my concentrating on my presentation.  With nine couples on the screen at once you have to watch closely to notice things.  One couple was wearing coats and another sister looked troubled. 

After the call, I returned to my accounting type work and Eileen started making calls to the two couples she was concerned about and another who hade missed the call due to another pressing matter.  Rather than being three simple calls, they ended up being a series of calls extending over the next two days.  She learned that one of our couple’s apartments had lost its primary heat source.  Not a fun proposition when the temperatures are below zero degrees Celsius.  From another call she learned that the sister missionary’s mother was seriously ill and in need of the couple’s assistance.  Eileen’s calls to another sister missionary revealed that the couple’s car had been towed and the troubles involved with getting it returned.  Where they live it is a much more complicated process that it is in the U.S. – and they got the opportunity to negotiate it in a foreign language that they did not speak.

As I watched Eileen deal with each of these situations I was impressed at the way she did it.  She was genuinely concerned, nurturing and showing love for the couples.  While this is not abnormal for her, the assertiveness and strength I witnessed within her was something I have not seen often since she was working at PCMC and with Operation Smile as a nurse.

During the last few days one of our senior missionaries here in Frankfurt contracted meningitis.  Elder Thomas Rich, one of my former partners at Deloitte, has been in the hospital and quite ill.  Fortunately one of his sons is a doctor stationed at a military base not far from Frankfurt and has been able to be with his parents for a day.  As missionaries we have been fasting and praying for Elder Rich’s recovery.  We are truly blessed to live in a time and place where both good health care and priesthood blessings are available to us.  Perhaps I have taken this for granted too much in my life.


Three days ago I got an email from an associate at my former employer asking if I would be interested in coming out of retirement.  The timing of their need and my availability did not work but it felt good to hear from a friend and flattering to be wanted by people I so highly respect.  I had many good friends at work, a blessing I did not fully appreciate until after I had left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment