Sunday, July 28, 2024

FORTY SIX YEARS!

Yesterday, Eileen and I celebrated our wedding anniversary.  I feel very fortunate and blessed to have now been able to spend over two-thirds of my life with Eileen.  When we got married, I could not have even dreamed of all the things that we have been able to experience together (posterity, traveling, serving in the Church, etc.).  I am grateful for my grandfather who introduced us to one another in the now demolished visitor center on Temple Square, and for the opportunity to be sealed as husband and wife in the temple for both time and all eternity.

In our last blog entry, Eileen related her visit to the hospital last Sunday and Monday.  There are two small things that I would like to add regarding that experience, one interesting and the other humorous.  

At the end of my temple shift the evening before Eileen had her medical issues, I stopped to enter a couple family members’ names on the temple prayer roll.  As I was doing so, I inadvertently also wrote down Eileen’s name.  As soon as I had done so, I chided myself for not being more focused on what I was doing.  But then quickly forgot about it as I returned home.  It was during the sobering events of the next day that I remembered entering Eileen’s name on the prayer roll.  I can’t help but think that it one of those small “rays of light” Elder Dushku spoke about in General Conference, where God was reminding me that he was aware of what was to come and that he cared.

On Monday evening I was trying to find something Eileen would eat.  She was still not feeling well didn’t want to eat or drink.  When I suggested egg-drop soup she agreed.  No, I don’t make it, but I do know a take-out Chinese restaurant where I can buy it!  With the food I bought that evening, I got a fortune cookie holding the following fortune, “Let Mondays be a reminder to live each day to the fullest.”  Amen!

Prior to Eileen’s hospital visit, we had thought that our blog entry for the week might be about an issue which came to a head in the mission that Friday. In a mission-wide Zoom meeting, President Sommerfeldt addressed an obedience issue which had been plaguing a number of our young elders.  The issue involved a local member of the Church and has evidently been going on for years.  Tragically, this has resulted in some elders going home early last week, with more leaving this week.  It is sad to witness, and even sadder to imagine all the pain that this will cause within their families.  

Since the stake reorganized the ward boundaries a month ago, we have been attending the Independence 3rdWard.  Last week, as I went to church alone (Eileen was home sick, prior to our going to the hospital), and then again to day, I left church thinking what great meetings I had just experienced.  For the first time residing away from Centerville (Utah) since living in Belgium, I thought to myself, “I could live here.”  I’m not saying that I am having feelings like many who have moved here, who say that they felt inspired to move here.  At least not yet.

Elder and Sister Dennison and some young elders got everything moved out of the home in Mound City. It had large amounts of mold in it and was a source of great angst for me (Eileen)

Sister Parker and Sister Hunsaker surveying the map with our mission boundaries trying to find a location which would work for our senior couple who have been serving there. 

Elder Covington has been helping with some computer work in our office as a service missionary. He completed his mission this past week.

Fortune the day I was released from the hospital. It was a nice reminder to enjoy each day for the blessings which have come. 

This poor missionary has ringworm in the scalp area. It requires 30 days of medication taken twice/day.


Saturday while Russell was at the temple I did a wagon ride around Independence with some other senior missionaries. It was very interesting. We have a lot of history here. He stopped to tell some stories in front of Bess Trumans childhood home (the yellow house in the background). 

Sister Kearns, Eileen, Sisters Creer, Ponton and Braillier

It is difficult to see, but there are Christmas lights around the pillars of the courthouse. Hallmark has been filming a movie in Independence called "Holiday Touchdown, A Chief's Love Story.

Russell knows I love flowers and bought these orchids for me.


We tried a lovely new Italian restaurant to celebrate our anniversary.




No comments:

Post a Comment