Sunday, July 7, 2024

PERCEPTION VS REALITY

As I reviewed our past several blog entries, it occurred to me that what we have written about is in no way proportional to the time we have spent doing it.  Truly little of the verbiage written there reflects what we do in our primary missionary callings, and almost none of the pictures pertain to that.  While Eileen continues to get medical calls seven days a week, most relate to common illnesses and minor injuries.  Fortunately, the young missionaries are not having as many severe emotional incidents as they did last fall.  In most cases, it would be inappropriate to write about a medical issue that may identify someone, as we know some from our mission read our blog. And writing about paying rent, utility bills, missionary support funds, or reconciling credit card expenses just are not the kind of things that people look forward to reading about.  It is what we do each day, and we are happy to be able to serve, but unless we can find something unique or spiritual about our day-to-day work, we look for other things to write about.

Yesterday, while Eileen spent the day working on medical issues, I (Russell) was able to start serving as a temple ordinance worker.  The assistant shift coordinator is Brother Fielding, the man who we noted as speaking in stake conference on May 5th.  It was his son that fell to his death while hiking in southern Utah last January.  During a few minutes of down time, he shared with me several incidents that helped him realize that God was aware of his suffering and desire to comfort him.  Brother Fielding also related to me his experience of going through the temple as proxy for his son in early March, and the joy it brought him.  I feel fortunate to have the blessings of the temple in my life, to know that I can be with my family forever, if I live worthy of the opportunity that the Gospel of Jesus Christ affords me.

Last week in church, they announced a change to most of the ward boundaries within the stake. Next week will be the first Sunday that members of the new wards will meet together, leaving today as the last Sunday for the members to be with their old ward family.  As mentioned in prior blog entries, the Blue Mills ward, which we have been attending, is predominantly Samoan.  So, when the bishop announced that following Sacrament meeting that we would all go outside to the Bowery for the second hour of church to “break the fast” (eat), and enjoy friendships and share testimonies, I thought that perhaps it was cultural thing to eat one last time with old ward members.  As it was only 10:00 am on Fast Sunday, Eileen and I decided to skip the party and attend the Sacrament meeting of the ward that going forward will encompass where we live, and which will be meeting at 9:00 am next Sunday in a different building.  Funny thing was that they too were going out to the bowrey following their meetings to “break the fast” together, but only after the second hour of church.  I guess it is a cultural thing, just a Missouri thing and not a Polynesian thing.

Our son-in law Steve purchased a ticket so that I (Eileen) could go with him and the kids to the Copa America Soccer tournament between the U.S. and Uruguay.  I have never been to something like this and was totally enthralled.  What a fun way to spend the evening with the grandkids. Russell stayed home with Jessica and her baby. The game was played at Arrowhead stadium, which is where the KC Chiefs play football. I think it was announced that there were 57,000 people at the stadium for the game. 


I drove the two oldest grandkids to the gym the morning they were leaving. When I came out the car was doing bizarre things and wouldn't start.  Jessica drove up to help. It was blazing hot (like 97 degrees) with high humidity. I am glad that the car started with a jump from AAA, as Russell had gone early to help with Zone Conference in Liberty. 

Some of the senior missionaries at Zone Conference. I did a presentation on hydration and medical processes. I will upload my presentation if I can figure out how to do it. 

Elder Besaw giving his departure testimony.  It would seem he is the happiest missionary on earth. Even with some health issues he would still always be reaching out to others to see how they were doing. 

We took a tour of the Vaille Mansion here in Independence on July 4th.  The cost to build this back in 1871 was equivalent to $4.5 million dollars in today's currency. 
The Sommerfeldts did a 4th of July BBQ at their home. All 28 senior missionaries came. We ate delicious food and shared thoughts about the blessings of being an American.

Most medical issues I can't discuss in my blog. These two senior missionary sisters were happy to let me take a blog photo showing their styes. That wild look in Sister Dennison's eyes is the norm for her. She keeps me laughing all the time.  She can't wait to see her photo in my blog. 
This is a photo of Darryl, aka "the Critter Hunter".  He has been coming to the YSA church meetings although is not a member.  He made the news when his three-wheel trike was stolen. There were enough donations to both replace his bike and provide some funds for future needs. 
Seems each week I always have a photo of the three amigas. I have really bonded with these other two senior missionaries and love them very much.
Sister Hildreth is from a ranch in Montana. She had no problems flushing this sister's eyes out after she had an allergic reaction to some trees.  She even pinned her down to make sure the water would get into her eye.
The fireworks in Independence on the 5th were magnificent. There was a band playing patriotic music in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment