Tuesday, July 23, 2024

NOT THE WAY YOU WANT TO EXPERIENCE A HOSPITAL

We are late in posting a blog this week.  Normally we post on Sunday.  Russell writes the text and I (Eileen) post the pictures.  As this blog basically is our missionary journal I  didn't want to neglect writing. 

It was a challenging week, with issues with missionaries, both health and behavior wise, unpaid missionary bills, a multitude of problems with the cars, and to top it off two hospital visits within 24 hours. Fortunately, we didn't have any responsibilities  with the vehicle issues other than to feel compassion for Elder Parker who is now working with them.

Saturday night I received two calls from a sister. During the first call she identified herself and said she was just fed something with peanuts. As she is allergic to peanuts she had taken two Benadryl and was calling to consult with me. She didn't have her epipen with her and I told her to go get it as it was a few minutes away and to keep in touch with me. An hour later she was at a baptism and called to tell me she was struggling to breathe. I sent her immediately to the ER and met her there. Fortunately, her issues were taken care of and she was released. I enjoyed the opportunity to get to know her and her companion better as she was being cared for.

Sunday morning I (Eileen) didn't attend church as I had some bad vertigo.  Unlike dizziness where you feel like you are going to faint, vertigo makes you feel like the whole world is spinning around you. Even though logically  you know things around you can't be moving, vertigo is very frightening.  It causes nausea, loss of balance, problems focusing the eyes. and sometimes dizziness. It is kind of like the feeling you get after the wildest  roller coaster you have ever been on, only it doesn't go away.  I have had vertigo before and know how to deal with it.  I assumed I would follow the self-care methods I have used in the past. When I started getting a severe right sided headache along with right sided weakness, I became really frightened.  I knew if I was having a stroke it was imperative to be seen immediately. I also knew that my life as I knew it would change dramatically.

Russell took me to the ER of the local hospital. Once the nurse looked at me she took me right back. She took me directly to get a CT scan.  From there it is kind of a blur. Russell said there were 6-8 people working on me. I remember someone putting an IV in, a doctor introducing herself and then introducing a neurologist. I thought how in the world did all these people get here so fast?  Russell said they had a video monitor and thought it was another neurologist from another hospital consulting with the doctors. I had a number of tests and then was kept overnight in the hospital for more testing.  Since all the rooms on the floor and in the ER were full, I was lined up in the hallway.  Fortunately, I had brought my earphones and listened to church music on my phone and tried to rest during the chaos that ensued. The hospital in Independence is not known for its upper class clientele.  Two nurses told me I didn't look like I come from here. After several hours of being in the hallway I was transferred to a room. Although it was obvious the staff in the ER were very frazzled, I got good care.  After a number of tests it was determined I most likely a hemiplegic migraine which basically manifests itself with stroke like symptoms. Since I have never had migraines before this was news to me.

Monday night I was discharged with some follow up visits requested with different practitioners. The vertigo still is there, but the weakness is gone.  The neurologist who examined me on the day of discharge said that I had a remarkable right handed grip. I told him I need to have a good grip as I play racquetball several times/week. It turned out this neurologist played collegiate racquetball. I think he was delighted to meet someone else who played. Most people in MO play pickleball.

I am grateful for a good husband who stayed with me during all of this craziness, good family and senior missionary friends and good medical care. I am so very thankful for my Heavenly Father who watches over me and helps me emotionally and physically when times get tough. 



These children decided that they wanted to see who was in my office.  They were definitely cute little kids. I think their Mom was at Family Services.
The best part of the week. Meeting Sister Creer's brother and sister in law and going out for BBQ. Notice the roll of paper towels at the end of the table. We needed them. My salad below was huge.


Is this supposed to be cool?  Riding on a motorcycle standing up?
Sister Megan and Sister Perez in the ER the night before I was admitted.

I was in the hallway of the ER for about 4 hours, then got moved to a room in the ER. I still needed to use the restroom in the hallway, so I passed the same patients in the hallway each time I used the restroom.  By nighttime there were  at least 20-25 people in the hallway, so I was grateful for the chance to get a room.


Sister Sheffield was kind enough to bring some roses for me once I came home. We have made some wonderful friendships as missionaries.

2 comments:

  1. That was a very graceful hallway hospital picture! We are all immensely grateful that you are in recovery! Elder Sheffield and I believe you are way too young and much too healthy and in too great of shape to be anywhere near a hospital except to administer to others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you went to get checked out and grateful you were cleared to be released. You have more lives to bless and adventures to experience. Love and prayers being offered for a complete recovery! ❤🙏

    ReplyDelete